Thursday, July 11, 2013

Time

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Ephesians 5:15-17
     During this season of my life, I find time to be a commodity that is in incredibly short supply. As a homeschool mom, there is nearly constant temptation to get caught up in the whirlwind of homeschooling possibilities, to worry overmuch about the "socialization" of my children and end up over-socializing, to put grades ahead of mastery, or just to rush through the school work so that the laundry can be done.  This is only one aspect of life, of course, but it does nicely illustrate the ongoing struggle to make the best use of time. I am ashamed to say that, rather than using each moment to its fullest potential, I am often trying to cram several days' worth of activity into one 24-hour span.  I have found that this is neither ideal nor particularly efficient. It leaves me feeling frazzled and frantic and usually leaves behind several half-complete tasks rather than one or two thoroughly and neatly finished projects.
 

     So what is the best use of my time? That is the question I need to ask as I look over schedules, plan lessons, and so on. There are many good opportunities out there, both for me and for my children. Many of them are even great, and a great number are even occasions to serve the Lord--or to serve someone in His name. With so many needs to be met and such an abundance of rich social and educational prospects, it is vital that I pay attention to the key word in this passage: I should be making the best use of the time allotted to me. The very best thing I can pass on to my children is a spiritual heritage from the Lord, a faith and trust in Jesus that goes beyond words, an unquenchable thirst for the Living Water Himself. As a wife and mother, raising Godly offspring is the most important task I can do, bar none.

     This includes telling others about Jesus, naturally. There is room in the best use of time for service, too--lots of it. However, in the midst of it all--the myriad things to do, the innumerable needs that need to be met--the best use of the time is not that which distracts me from the purpose of training my children in the way they should go nor any other act of obedience to God's specific calling on my life. Naturally, I will endeavor to obey His general calling--that I love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul and mind, love my neighbor as myself, and that I we "go and make disciples of all nations."  That is what He wants all of us to do, and so that goes without saying.

     However, that is the beginning of the narrow path. As I follow Jesus down it, I find that there are specific tasks He has appointed just for me. As Paul, the Jewish teacher of the Law, was sent (rather unexpectedly considering his credentials, I may add) to the Gentiles, Peter was crucified, and John was sent merely to exile, God has a more particular plan for each of us. I --or any of us--only find it out though time spent in honest, heartfelt worship of the King, getting to know Him and to recognize and respond to His voice.

    The most difficult element for me in time management is simply that I like to be liked, and I like to please people. However, as the last couple of exceedingly busy years have (finally!) taught me, all the social and educationally enriching activities are not always the best use of the time. My job is not to raise "well-rounded" children. My primary job and calling is in teaching my children of my love for my God, of His wonders and His ways, His goodness as well as His unyielding nature, to truly present my body "as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to Him. To do my "work heartily as to the Lord and not to men." The very best use of time is for me to do precisely what the Lord directs me to do. All the rest--even if it is ministry related-- is fluff and shadows, insubstantial.

      In the end, it is not what I want to do or what pleases other people that will matter. It will be what I have done out of pure excess of love for my Savior in obedience to His calling and in gratitude for His mercy. Of late, He has been speaking to me about my busy-ness, showing me that it is not the best use of the time. He reminds me that my life is a mere vapor, and if I waste it pursing my own hobbies or pleasing myself, or even if I waste it serving Him in one way while ignoring what He is telling me to do, then I have wasted it entirely. The vapor is gone, leaving nothing behind but an empty void that was once filled with activity. As Henry David Thoreau once wrote, "As if you could kill time without injuring Eternity!" Indeed.

     I must learn to slow down and listen. I must learn to diligently seek the truth in the Word of God, taking the time to drink deep until the Fountain of Living Water bubbles up irrepressibly. I must rest in Him when I am tired, seek Him when I am confused, trust Him when the way seems dark and let His word be a lamp to my feet. There is truly no better use of time.

     Oh, I will be tempted, I am sure, to look at what others are doing for Him and feel that my calling is small and even silly. I have done it already, just minutes ago as I perused a list of folks going on a mission trip that I am not going on. Many of the folks I would love to spend time with and others I would love to get to know better. However, when I asked the Lord, He had a different, plainer-seeming task for me to do. I was tempted to think, "But look what they are doing! And what a time they will have to bond together! Is that not what you want for me, Lord?"

     His answer? It was very similar to the one He gave Peter: "What is it to you what they do? Make the best use of My time: You follow Me!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment