Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Goodness of Sorrow

It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go to the house of feasting, for this is the end of all mankind, and the living will lay it to heart. Sorrow is better than laughter, for by sadness of face the heart is made glad. The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. Ecclesiastes 7:2-4
    
     While meditating on the goodness of God, it is natural for my thoughts to turn to the utility of sorrow. During the process of sanctification, God has shown me that, while joy is an aspect of the fruit of the Spirit, joy is not exclusive of sorrow. In fact, it is in the very deepest shadows of sorrow that joy is felt the most keenly. 
  
     Personally, it was not in the blithe and carefree days of my spiritual infancy that I felt joy. No, I was happy in those times and I certainly thought myself full of the Spirit and His grace. In truth, however, it was not until I began to see how utterly depraved and hopeless a case I really was; not until I experienced crushing sorrow at the pitiful state of my heart; not until I begin to truly grasp the unbelievable price that was paid for my wretched soul--and to lament that such a staggering ransom was paid for base, pathetic me--did I ever begin to feel the first swell of joy. All else pales in comparison to it, and I am deeply grateful for the ruthlessness of the sorrow that birthed it.

      The sorrow was not mine alone, however. In having my blinders removed for the first time and seeing the sickness of my soul, I also began to see the futility and horror of the human condition. We all live with the knowledge that the only breath guaranteed us is the breath that is in our lungs at this very moment. We never know when a loved one will be struck down or torn from us.  There is no promise of health, wealth, or love. Disease is certain, pain is familiar to us all, hardship will come sooner or later, and there is nothing more doubtless than death. Beyond all that, there is suspicion, cruelty, lack of love, prejudice, hate, despair, war, abuse, neglect, and a host of other afflictions. Indeed, the human race seems bent on its own annihilation, and the future looks more and more bleak with each passing day.

     The greatest heartbreak of all for me was in the realization that so many of my fellow men have no hope at all. Their only hope is in "self-help," indulgence, wealth, prosperity, or some equally feeble and unstable platform. They are building their lives on the shifting sand with no hope but that their walls will be of sturdy-enough stuff that the waves will take time to topple them.  Many are openly hostile toward the One who came to save them from destruction and to provide a solid and immovable foundation on which to build.  Sadder still are those who build their lives unaware of the flimsiness of their efforts, blind to the encroaching surf. It is for the happiest of non-believers that my heart weeps for the most; the people who are experiencing good health and a lack of want, viewed by their fellowman as good people, and content to bask in the sunshine of prosperity without concern that a storm may rise and obliterate all that they have trusted in and held dear. The very blessing that wraps them in comfort may well prove to be the noose that hangs them. If only they were blessed with sorrow and soul-sickness rather than cursed with bliss!

     This sorrow I have been introduced to in the last few years is pervasive and were it not for the grace of my Lord and His love, it would probably consume me. However, I do have a hope that lasts and a foundation that will never crack or be shaken. I have a faith that is growing day by day as I choose obedience and see that it is good, that God is faithful, and that I can trust Him even when the situation is beyond my understanding. It is not beyond His, and too often have I seen Him prove it in small ways to now doubt it in large ones. For it is in the midst of sorrow that I have found solidity, comfort, and assurance. 


     Now my great hope, my fondest wish is that everyone I know will follow my Lord as we walk this path together. Yes, the way is often dark and forbidding with only a small pool from the Lamp to light the path at our feet. It is not a broad, easy highway we tread, but a steep and narrow ascent. There are tight squeezes which must be wriggled through, and it is true that we may feel stuck at times. There are winding paths on the heights with alarming, sheer plunges seeming to await a small slip. It is not an easy path, but it is a worthy path and the joy and thrill of the love of my Savior is what goads me on and drives the longing to bring all those I love along as well. It is a path through sorrow, but never alone, for the Man of Sorrows is acquainted with it and has forged the way. It is a path through sorrow, I say, but through it to a destination of joy and peace everlasting and uncontaminated. It is the only path for me. I pray that you, dear reader, will choose to walk it too.

Truly, truly, I say to you, you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice. You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy.When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. . .

I have said these things to you that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.  
John 16:20-22, 33



Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment