Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Appearance




"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Matthew 6:1-4
     I find this to be a very humbling passage, for it exposes the depth of my pride. If I take these words of my King to heart just as He spoke them, than there can be no excuses, no justification, nor any way I can paint myself in a better light. For how often have I practiced my righteousness before other people? It is shameful to me to recall the many things I did under the banner of the Lord's name when all I truly wanted in my heart was to look like a "good little Christian" to others.
     Painful though it was for me to realize, I am glad to have this wretched thing dragged into the light so that I may recognize it--and avoid it--in the future. My heart's desire is changing, for more and more as I grow older I want to bring my Father glory and let my name lie in the dust where it properly belongs.



"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

Father, glorify Your name in such a weak, selfish, and ungrateful child as I am. It is for You and You alone I live and breathe, and in You alone is there meaning and reason to live. Forgive my pride and help me to forget myself completely as I abandon all that I am in worship of You. May I no longer worry about what I look like on the outside to others, nor live for praise of men. May I instead be concerned only that You are honored and magnified. Mark me indelibly, that I may never forget to Whom I belong, and fix my gaze steadfastly on You.


Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment