Monday, February 13, 2012

Seeing or Believing?

     I saw something incredible this past Saturday. I attended the Tennessee State Judo Championship after missing it last year, and I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with old friends and watching some stellar judo. Among the many familiar faces were several new competitors that I had not seen before. One of these began to stand out as the afternoon wore on and people were eliminated from each bracket. I was attempting to help things run smoothly and so missed this particular man's arrival on the mat. I thought he had a somewhat eccentric approach to his opponent and also thought it a little odd that there was no grip fighting, but it was just an idle, passing thought. In fact, I did not immediately realize there was anything atypical about the young man at all until I saw the ref guiding him to face the correct direction for the closing bow. He was blind. And he took home a silver medal for the tournament, competing against many others who had no disability.

     It was truly a treat to see him on the mat. His judo was played entirely by touch, and it was remarkable to see the efficiency with which he could gauge his opponent's actions and reactions. I almost wondered if the blindness that hindered his ability to walk freely actually enhanced his ability to sense tiny tensions in his opponent's muscles, minuscule precursors of movement that are hidden to those of us so dependant on our vision.
   
     I noticed, too, that frequently a friend would narrate other matches so he could "see" the action. Probably the greatest part was, aside from some genuine appreciation for his ability and some rather subtle assistance, no one treated him any differently from any other player. He was just a judoka there to try his skill against others and do his best. I honestly admire anyone who has what it takes to get out there with so many people watching, but I must say I have a new level of respect for someone who cannot watch me in return.
    
    I was glad to be there, glad to be able to offer some meager help to the guys running the mats, and doubly blessed by watching this blind guy excel. The experience has provided a great deal to mull over. The obvious is that I really have no excuses for  my hardest at whatever I am given to do. Where I have a weakness, there I must simply give greater diligence and think creatively to find out how to turn it into a strength.
    
     Perhaps equally obviously is the reminder that, in following God, I will not always know where I am being led. I watched the blind judoka walking around the facility with his hand on another man's shoulder, trusting his friend not to lead him the wrong direction. I had to ask myself, am I so trusting with God?
    
     I know that I have heard the voice of the Lord behind me, whispering, "This is the way; walk in it," and upon looking I see no place to set my foot. I see no path at all, rocky or otherwise. I am utterly blind and faced with a choice: Do I believe Him and take that step, trusting Him implicitly, trusting that my obedience will bring understanding when it is needed?  Or do I wait until I can see my way clear before I take a step, standing frozen in place and numbed by my lack of trust?  For if I truly believe in God as my loving Father, I will know that even if the path He bids me tread is a difficult one, it will never be a false one. I will know that He will give me the "why" of it when I need to know it, but I must trust His wisdom to keep from me the burdens of knowledge that I am not yet ready to bear. It is my job to obey only--to take that step into the darkness and trust that if it is a step into an abyss, He will catch me. If one blind man can trust his human friends not to lead him into harm, surely one blind sinner can trust her holy Father to know which path is best.
And I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know, in paths that they have not known I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

     As a side note, while I am no longer an active judoka, the sport will always have a place in my heart. Whether I ever step on the mat again or not, it is likely I will always enjoy watching judo. It may seem odd to some, but there is an art to it that appeals to me. There is something magnificent about the feeling when you get a throw right and it just happens, effortlessly. There is also something wonderful about a sport in which the lack of eyesight is less of a hindrance than the lack of flexibility. Beyond all of that, it is the general attitude of judo that I enjoy; the concept of jita kyoei--mutual welfare and benefit--that the best players live out both on the mat and off.


Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Still amazed that a blind man could excel at this sport! May I be trusting enough to "excel" in following Jesus, even when I can't see where He is taking me.

    ReplyDelete