Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Looking for the King

And at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb. And when the time came for their purification according to the Law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, "Every male who first opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord") and to offer a sacrifice according to what is said in the Law of the Lord, "a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons." 
Luke 2:21-24

     This month in my little 2-year-old Sunday school class, we are looking at Mary and Joseph bringing the infant Jesus into the temple to fulfill the requirements of the Law as given to Moses for Mary's purification. As I read and retold the story to my little people, there are two facets that stood out to me strongly. The first comes in the above passage: "...a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons."

     I don't know why it stood out to me this time over others, but I realized that not only was my King born in a stable with a bed of scratchy straw surrounded by the less-than-pleasing aromas of sheep and goats, but His earthly parents fulfilled the sacrifice of Mary's purification with the only thing they could afford: a couple of pigeons. If you look back into the Levitical law (found in Leviticus 12:6-8), you will find that the sacrifice of two birds is a provision for those who could not afford both a lamb and a bird. Joseph and Mary, then, were not well-off, for they could not even afford a lamb for her purification after the birth of the Lamb of God. Humble beginnings for the King of kings and the One through whom all things were created.

      The next point struck me even more so than the first. Let's continue to look at this Scripture:

Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ. And he came in the Spirit into the temple, and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law, he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said, "Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel." And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him. And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed." Luke 2:25-35
      Despite the lowly circumstances of His earthly parents and the complete lack of the trappings of royalty, this man, Simeon, recognized the King and praised God for Him. I wonder, do I recognize Him when He speaks subtly into my life? Do I hear His voice above all the clamor? Simeon was at the temple to worship, a point I can't help but note. It reminds me to be alert for the presence of God and not just caught up in good music or positive feelings. It reminds me to ask: Do I search for the King in His humility or am I wooed away from actual worship of Him by other distractions?  Particularly during the season of Advent, am I keeping my whole being in a state of eager anticipation of the arrival of the King as Simeon was? For at Advent, I am not only looking back to His first arrival on earth, but also forward to the great Day He will come and reclaim His own. May it be that He finds His Bride prepared and ready when He comes!

     As I ruminate on this, I fear sometimes that in our modern worship, we have allowed buildings or music or  programs or equipment or technology or a myriad other useful and even wonderful tools of modern worship to drown out the simple, unassuming message of our King. Even more so at Christmastime when we are celebrating His birth, we are often more caught up in presents, tinsel,  gift cards, and baking rather than caught up with love and adoration of the One we are supposed to be celebrating. Don't get me wrong--I love worship services and music, and I love Christmas. It's just that every year I have to ask myself if I am seeking the King in the midst of the festivities and activities.  I sincerely hope that I am not found sitting in a place of worship or celebrating His birth,  yet overlook Him in the midst of it! I hope that I, like Simeon, will recognize the Messiah in my days no matter how quietly and unassumingly He presents Himself.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment