Wednesday, May 15, 2013

One


For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. 
Romans 12:4-5

     This past weekend brought with it a special privilege, that of two days of worship and fellowship in two very different ways. These times were especially precious to me coming as they were at the end of the week-long struggle with fatigue and the crazy chemical flux I discussed in my last post. Two days and two styles of worship was an absolutely perfect opportunity for me to refocus on my God. The weekend was truly a beautiful and timely gift from Him. 
    On Saturday, we attended a Catholic mass to see one of our small friends accept her First Holy Communion. It was so touching to see her sweet little face so solemn and sincere. My inner nerd reveled in hearing the priest speak of the historical event that led to the First Communion being offered at a much younger age. The diligence in the training of the young people, the beauty of the family that we have come to know and love, and the solemn dignity and orderliness of the occasion among other things worked together to create a profound sense of reverence within my heart. Watching and taking part in the liturgy so steeped in tradition put me in mind of the ancient and ever-present but never-changing character of my God. I found myself awed and grateful for the time of prayer and meditation that was provided while the congregation went to accept communion. I felt an especial outpouring of love for all my brethren in Christ, no matter what traditions they observe. I was again reminded of the need to pray for unity in the Church; for a demolition of the barriers erected by man that so often divide us.
     Sunday morning found me worshiping in the church body of which I am a member, but not in my usual way. My typical Sunday morning worship finds me worshiping God with the toddler class (which are now technically preschoolers, but I have loved them so long and am loathe to part with them, and I have been indulged by keeping them!). This Sunday, due to the enforced recovery time from my surgery, I was not able to praise God with my little ones, and so I joined the congregation in our improvised sanctuary inside an elementary school gymnasium. Rather than a traditional "songs-and-a-sermon" service, our pastor spoke and prayed for us and provided a journaling table, Bibles for those who did not have them, Scripture cards, pens, pencils, notes, and a variety of other materials and one final, crucial ingredient: Time. Our worship service was centered on spending time with God in the Word and in prayer, and it was absolutely, incredibly perfect. I needed the time to re-calibrate and refocus on God. I had a powerful time of communion with my King and He once again brought me to places in His Word that reminded me of my brotherhood in Christ that extends beyond all borders, races, and traditions.
     And so, today, I pray for unity in Christ and I praise Him for the greatness of what He has done. He laid down His life willingly for us, not so we could disintegrate into a multitude of squabbling factions, but so that we could be one in Him. As He prayed, "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me." (John 17:20-21)
     Our God is good. Our Lord is magnificent. Praise God today for the incredible gift of brotherhood given in Christ! I pray today that God will grant each of us to powerfully experience the love of our brother and sisters in Him, spurring us to reach across the traditions of man to seize hold of the gift of God. May it not be done for us, but as Jesus prayed, "so that the world may believe" that He was sent for us. We are one in Christ; let us resolve to keep our minds and hearts fixed on Him, pray for sanctity and unity, and above all, to love one another as He loved us. Together we can stand for Him against our ancient enemy; divided, we are doing our enemy's work for him. Let love be our motive, and let us stand for our God and King!

There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call-- one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 
Ephesians 4:4-6



No comments:

Post a Comment