Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sowing Seed

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. One who is taught the word must share all good things with the one who teaches.
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. 
Galatians 6:1-10

     This principal of reaping and sowing is one of those instances where God has imprinted a spiritual truth in His creation. As an amateur gardener, I know this to be a fact, for every time I have sown potatoes, I have reaped potatoes. If I sow zucchini, I will later harvest zucchini. Last year I planted seeds that I had saved from the previous summer and labeled "butternut squash." To my surprise, a few weeks later I found a rather large pumpkin growing where I expected squash. Though I fully believed that it was squash that I planted, the seeds were not fooled for they were pumpkin seeds all along.
     I see this very principal at work in my walk with the Lord as well, for He is not deceived either. I can think well of myself for doing this or that thing, but if my heart is selfish and desires the glory that is His due, it is selfishness I will reap. It is not what I think I sow that matters, you see, but only what is actually planted that will bear fruit: If I sow seeds of discord, I will one day eat the bitter fruit of of strife. If it is pure, humble love that I sow, well, my harvest will be much more palatable. God is never mocked, and I will only harvest that which I put my effort towards.  I should never expect to enjoy the delightful fruit of righteousness if the work I do is self-serving and willful, even should it be done to look good to others and not simple and humble obedience to my God. He knows my motives and He knows what I sow, even if I should mislabel it.
     Parenting provides a rather quick way to watch the sowing and reaping effect, for it is true that in many cases what we sow spiritually here on earth will not be reaped this side of the grave. As I ponder that fact and reflect, I can see much of what I have sown in my children's hearts beginning to show the first bloom that will become the yield of my labors. Not all of it is good; in fact, much of it humbles me and stirs me to repent. I see angry responses that reflect my own impatience with them in the past. I see sprouts of selfishness and am forced to recognize it as seed that I planted with my own hand. There are many weeds in my little garden, and I will be hard at work this year to undo the poor planting I have done in the past.
     But God is also faithful, for I do not only see weeds but some thriving, strong plants that I hope will become oaks of righteousness for the display of my God's splendor someday. My children are thoughtful, far more so than I ever have been. Just yesterday my girls and I walked our dogs and stopped to chat with a neighbor whose truck had broken down. He was waiting on a tow truck and it was cold. My sweet little darlings talked about ways we could help him as we walked away and finally struck upon the idea of bringing him some hot chocolate. We rushed home, made a quick cup of homemade hot chocolate, and I drove them back to the stalled vehicle so they could deliver it themselves. However, I cannot claim credit for these children who think of others far more than I do. This is the planting of the word of God, and this is the only seed in my garden that I have pledged myself to work diligently to protect and nurture at all costs.
     God is not mocked. I will reap what I sow, and not just as a mother. The kids are simply a part of the greater spiritual lesson, and they must also learn to sow carefully with the harvest in mind. This year, I pray that God will help me to sow good spiritual seed in the hearts of my children and everywhere I go. I ask that He will goad me to cast away the unsavory seed before it is planted and that He will strengthen me to destroy the weeds I have already allowed to take root. I wish to be mindful this year, always looking to the future with every word, every thought, every action; hoping always to take every thought captive to obey Christ and planting only that which will bring my Father joy.
     God is not mocked. We will, all of us, reap what we sow. Will you be intentional about what you sow this year?


Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment