Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Stones

As he was drawing near--already on the way down the Mount of Olives--the whole multitude of his disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen, saying, "Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"
And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, rebuke your disciples."
He answered, "I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out." 
Luke 19:37-40

     I wonder at times if I am too hesitant with my praise or too cautious with my requests? I have seen God do mighty works in my heart and in my life, but I think sometimes I have been reserved about giving Him the credit that is His due. I am ashamed by that.

     He is teaching me, also, to be more bold in prayer. In this area, too, I have been conservative, afraid to ask for things that are too big or too specific. In a recent meeting, another believer stated this as "saving face for God." This is what I do, too, or perhaps I am really saving face for myself, afraid to ask publicly for something only to have it withheld. I am also ashamed by this.

     Would it not be better to cry aloud to God from my heart, heedless of who is listening; to talk with my Father as if it were He and I alone in the world? Would it not be better to present my requests without fear or shame, knowing and even loudly declaring that such requests are His to grant or deny as He wills? Should I not praise Him with unabashed zeal regardless of what He does or does not grant? Nowhere in His word can I find one of the "superheros" of the faith who was not bold, almost reckless, in speaking with the Almighty.

     Take Moses, who was hesitant to obey at first and even asked, "Oh my Lord, please send someone else," yet he was later found to have the audacity to ask, "Please show me Your glory!" Isaiah, once his lips had been touched by the burning coal from the altar, was quick to shout, "Here I am! Send me!"even though his mission was often to preach to those who neither heard nor cared. Hezekiah, through Isaiah's invitation, asked for the shadow to go backward ten steps as the day increased, and Gideon asked twice for an incredibly specific sign with his fleece. Many other prophets and Jesus's own disciples asked without trepidation for healing and even for the raising of the dead. So I know that there is no request outside the reach of my God. So why do I hesitate? Am I waiting for the stones' song to ring out?

     Father, today I triumphantly declare Your greatness!.  You are not good because of my circumstance; You are good regardless of it. You are the Rock, the Mighty One upon whom my faith is built. There is no God like You and I serve You proudly and with relish. May it be that I always proclaim the works of Your hand, Your incredible love, Your power, and Your praise without fear. You have been goading me to walk more boldly and I have only just begun to get my feet wet in it. Grant me the courage to immerse myself completely!

     Today I ask without fear that You would grant my husband a job that would be a reward to him for years of hard work. May it be a job that will allow for family time, be an asset to his reputation, and be a financial boon and reward. We earnestly await Your word in this matter, laying all at Your feet and trusting that if you do not grant this request it is because You know better what he needs than we. I have asked for a number, Lord, but I choose to keep that between my family and You. This is my fleece in this matter, and I ask it knowing that You will do what is best and also knowing that we can only hope to receive if we ask. Whether You give or You withhold, we will magnify You. May the stones never drown out the tumult of our praise! 


I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together! 
Psalms 34:1b-3



Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.





No comments:

Post a Comment