Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Perspective

Today started out like an ordinary day... I was feeling a little sluggish and behind in my morning schedule. You know, not quite ready to start the school day and all the chores... not dreading it, exactly, but not looking forward to it either. I sent birthday greetings to two friends on Facebook and found my ex-step-sisters and their families... in general, I was procrastinating working out and schoolday prep that needed to be done before the kids were up and school started. I admit I was feeling a little selfish and just wishing I could sit and write, have an extra cup of coffee, maybe read a little, maybe workout for a whole hour and simply not deal with teaching, disciplining, instructing, training, feeding, cleaning, cooking, bill paying, and so on. I wasn't excited about a few phone calls I needed to make, either. Whatever I was, I was not "doing my work heartily as to the Lord and not to men..." But I got up, spent what little time I'd left myself doing some stretching, ab exercises, and those maddeningly difficult 'advanced' judo push-ups, and got ready for the day.

Around 8:00, I had settled into Aria's reading lesson while waiting on Nate to finish up in the bathroom. Just as we were finishing, the telephone rang. As is my schooltime habit, I let the machine get it and heard the voice of an old friend whom I had not heard from in a while on the other end. Something in her tone told me to pick it up, so I did. I was in for a shift in perspective.

She had been diagnosed with breast cancer. She had surgery on August 19, and she was gracious enough in the midst of this heart wrenching trial to think of me halfway across the state and take the time to call and tell me personally. She had an amazing tale of God's provision of wisdom, help, and strength. He is there with her, very palpably with her, through this and her faith amazed and humbled me. Because of His guidance, the cancer was caught early and the prognosis is good. She is continuing to homeschool her children despite having chemotherapy treatments starting next month. She sounded incredibly positive and steady and as even-keeled as ever. I wanted to cry, then I wanted not to cry when she was not. I wanted to laugh that she has such a good attitude. I wanted to hang my head in shame that I had been so caught up in ridiculous self-serving thoughts just moments before. I wanted to get on my knees and beg forgiveness from God for not trusting Him in my petty, little trials. I wanted to praise Him for preserving her life and for helping me to remember that all things, all trials, all troubles will someday pass away. Thank You, God, for Lori and I pray that You will protect her heart through all of this and that she will be around to bless us all for many more years.


Scripture quotations are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment